Saturday, June 09, 2007

Feels Like Home

AM: 2:06 :: 20M (2M easy; 3M threshold; 60 min/9M easy; 3M threshold; 3M easy)

Its easy to love Duluth on days like today. Temps in the high 50s/low 60s, sunshine, and breezy. Of course the breezy part might not be ideal next week if it blows the same direction as today. The only comfort I can provide those running next weekend is that the weather changes minute-to-minute on the North Shore so maybe we'll get lucky.

Katie and I got into Duluth around 7:30 and met up with friends at the Brewhouse. Whilst there we saw a good number of aquaintances from our time in Duluth. It was really pretty scary how many people we knew were eating at Fitgers on a random Friday night. We were wondering if it was a sign of some sort.

This morning Katie and I drove to the Portland Malt Shoppe and Mile 24 of the Marathon. I set out with the wind, warming up to the 22 mile mark. The first 3M threshold run was up and down. I went through the approximate 1/2M mark by Glensheen in 2:33, eased off, but then came through in 5:21. I didn't feel like I over compensated, but mile 2 was 5:02. Go figure. Maybe I was just getting warmed up. Mile 3 was 5:11 and felt pretty relaxed.

My original plan was to continue running out and back on the course for the hour of easy running, but I decided, since I was near Lester Park I would run up Seven Bridges Road to Hawks Ridge to tour around for awhile. Of course that meant a 1+ mile climb right after the threshold run, but once I crested Skyline Pkwy in Hawks Ridge it was worth it. The flies though. My god the flies.

I cut across from Skyline to the Amity Creek Trail and came back down the hill on the Lester Park Trails. By the time I got back to the 19M mark of the Marathon I was at 60:02. Pretty good timing. The second 3M threshold run was into a pretty stiff wind so I determined I would run by feel rather than adhering to a strict split each mile. Even then I was still able to come through the first mile in 5:17. Mile 2 I must have lost some concentration or something (split 5:28). I recovered to finish it off in 5:14 for the last stretch along London Rd.

Overall I was pretty happy with this workout because I felt more comfortable with the pace, even more so than I did during the 1/2 marathon last week. I suppose thats the point of this isn't it?

I attempted the "cold bath" of Lake Superior and lasted all of 15 seconds. If I had something to cover my toes I may have been able to last longer, but at this point in the year it is still pretty chilly.

Heather Dorniden (UofM) 3rd at NCAAs
Paris Hilton going back to jail was too much for this gentleman

No comments: