Sunday, March 08, 2009

Gel-lin'

The past six weeks I've seen some great progress. For the most part I'm feeling like my old self again. Unlike most of the 2008 where I felt broken down as my mileage/intensity got higher, I now feeling like I'm getting stronger. Of course I'm following the more traditional and safer method of building a strong base before getting into any interval or marathon pace workouts. Amazing how conventional wisdom can be so......wise? The weekdays have progressed to 60-90 min most days plus a couple 2xdays a week. I've done a couple sessions of hill sprints, but I've had to be cautious as there is very little clear pavement around here and my knee came up sore after the last session, probably due to the slipping. The weekends have been where the real work has been getting done. I plan to continue the same pattern for a few more weeks and then move into a marathon cycle (Grandmas) once the calendar hits April.

Human Race is coming up in a couple weeks. I'm curious to see where I'll end up. I've fluctuated in my confidence with my turnover the past few weeks, but there are so many people running so fast there is a good chance I'll get sucked into a faster time than I would normally expect. I'm a far cry from the shape I was in when I've actually won this race in the past, but then again those two years I flamed out at Grandmas one year and came up lame in a 100k the other year. So if that is any indication I'll gladly take a slower time if it means I'm hitting my stride June 20.

Jan 26 - Feb 1
Sat: 60 min
Sun: 2 hr (16.6M)
Mileage for the week: 56M

Feb 2 - Feb 8
Sat: 80 min
Sun: 2 hr (16.8M)
Mileage for the week: 65M

Feb 9 - Feb 15
Sat: 1 hr 40 min
Sun: 2 hr (17.3M)
Mileage for the week: 78M

Feb 16 - Feb 22
Sat: 2 hr (17.5M)
Sun: 2 hr (18M)
Mileage for the week: 93M

Feb 23 - Mar 1
Sat: Progression Run (6:00, 5:50, 5:40 5:30) 10M total
Sun: 2 hr 20 min (21M)
Mileage for the week: 60M

Mar 2 - Mar 8
Sat: Progression Run (6:00, 5:50, 5:40, 5:30, .5M@5:20, .5M easy, .5M@5:10-5:15) 11M Total
Sun: 2 hr 4o min (24.5M)
Mileage for the week: 98M

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

VERY nice progress! You should be in the mix at the Human Race, but you never know who's coming or what the weather's going to be.