Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Keep Plugging

AM: 42:30 :: 6M
PM: 69 min :: 12M (8M @ threshold)

5:25, 5:30, 5:25, 5:33, 5:27, 5:28, 5:27, 5:29

The body needed some convincing after the last three days of volume/intensity, but once I got going the legs responded. An interesting run though, because my arms, shoulders and neck felt really tight/fatigued. That was actually what was holding me back. It could be a number of things, but at the top of the list is probably excessive Wii playing. Time to take a break from that.

I was initially planning on doing 10M, but after 5 I thought better of it. I keep telling myself "patience, patience". Even though TCM is quickly approaching I can't force it. I've already made peace with the fact that I may not run 2:22. I really just want to have a solid race and will base my strategy off my workouts, not my goals.

I'm also looking forward to JFK in November. I'm headed out to Afton again this Saturday to join Wynn for his run on the trails. JFK breaks down as ~15 miles on the Appalachian Trail, 26+ miles on the pancake flat Potomac River towpath, and then a rolling 9 miles to the finish. I was debating whether it was wise to keep going after TCM, but I may need JFK in order to qualify for next year's 100km team. This year one could qualify by running under 6:00 at JFK. There is no guarantee that it will be for 2008, but its worth a try. With hernia surgery and the requisite recovery/rehab basically making a spring ultra an unwise endeavor, 2007 JFK may be the only chance I'm presented with. Risk/reward I guess.

2 comments:

WynnMan said...

Hey Patrick, thanks for running out at the park the other day, fun stuff, hope I didn't slow you down too much. We missed less than a half-mile gravel road/hill section, don't know how that happened, but o well.

Let's do that again sometime, and I found out from one of the bikers altimeter that the alps course is 7.2 miles with 1000ft of gain per loop, but if you wanted to add more, as you descend down by the "bowl" you can go off the trail a few yards and do repeats up the "bowl", this really adds a substantial amount of gain. Plus they mow a path to the top so it's clear going.

hope all is well

Matt Hart said...

hey patrick, so you are running with a hernia right now? i have an ab/groin/hip injury that has lingered and i assume is a sports hernia.

just curious what your experience with this injury has been. thanks.