Tuesday, January 30, 2007

You're My Boy, Blue! You're My Boy!

AM: 67 min :: 10M
PM:
10x1k (3:10 avg/2:55 last), 200m rec (60 sec), 3M wm/5M cd :: 14M

I had a good feeling about this workout all day. I was debating on whether to do 8 or 10 reps. I decided on 8 during the warmup given that I would be doing this workout on an indoor track. My hip was sore after those 400s last week so I didn't want to chance anything. The 1/2 marathon on Saturday was run at 5:20/mile. Since 1/2 marathon pace is a good approximation of threshold and I didn't run all out during the race, I thought I would run just a little bit faster than that pace for the balance of the workout (3:15/km). Well, that didn't last long. The first rep was 3:13, the next 3:12 without breaking a sweat. I knew I was feeling good, but I didn't want to get in trouble later in the workout. I "forced" myself to run 3:11-3:12 through rep #7 and then I went 3:08, 3:05, 2:55. The last one was a surprise, not because of how fast it was, but the fact that I still felt in control. I wasn't failing down the last straightaway or anything.

In keeping with my usual progression, the next time I do this workout I will attempt 12 reps and then 15 about 3 weeks out from the 100km. This is about the fastest I've done this workout this early in a buildup. Good times.


LINK

Homeless Frank critiques American Idol
The Italians are coming!

No comments: