Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Taking It Easy

PM: 27 min :: 4M

I recovered quite well over the past three days. The pain in the hamstring is no longer palpable, but the whole area remains pretty tight. It felt good to run again. It would be nice, however, to be able to run in shorts one of these days. The weather is a little frustrating, I've grown tired of complaining about it. Whatever.

After the run I stretched for the better part of an hour and worked my IT band over with the foam roller. It was also Day 1 of situps and pushups. I eased into it with just two easy sets. Hopefully I can avoid the soreness that usually follows.

I decided that I will just keep my runs to 30 min the rest of this week. Maybe I'll go all the way up to 45 min on Sunday if I feel good. My main goal over the next 6 weeks is to work some in some strength training. I'm setting aside one day on the weekend for a visit to the weight room. Possibly a day during the week as well if I have the time. About three times a week I plan to do the three exercises listed here after my morning run. Then there are the strides and leg drills that need to find a place in this crowded schedule.

The downside of all this is it adds more time to my workout. I'll need to be much more efficient with my time in general to allow for the supplemental training. In addition I think I'll adjust how I break up my mileage (shorten one of the runs on a two-a-day). And last but not least, substitute a medium-long run (13-17M) in place of a two-a-day.

Lots to work in there. Hopefully I can stick with it this time around. Even if I only cover half of the things I listed, I'll be better for it.

LINK

Watch the first episode of This American Life (the t.v. show)
Hot Fuzz trailer

No comments: